Saturday, August 30, 2008

being welcomed in . . .


So this is the "yucky " house in the country that I was talking about. This is the view from the road, at a later time I will upload a photo of where it sits in the middle of the planted fields. Turns out, it is not so "yucky" at all! I guess, from the first visit, and comparing it to houses we wanted to purchase, it seemed bad. However, the day we moved in, it had a whole new feel to it. I have actually thought about ways that I could change it if we purchased it.

So many changes have happened over the two week period that it is hard to limit what to share. I am going to just highlight some of the major events and maybe go into more detail on a later post.

  • School started and it is Great. Large room, small class sizes, good kids. Sure there is the occasional "BOZO" but they are mostly rural children in attitude.
  • I am able to visit my family members. It is nice to connect with them again. My nephew goes to the school I am working in.
  • I am developing connections with staff members, students, and people in our farm community already. (As a reception, four families came to our house last night for a belling! Around 9:30 they walked up the lane in the dark and then all 27 people started BANGING on pans, pots, drums, and "stuff" to call us out of our home. When we came out, they greeted and welcomed us to the "neighborhood" with snacks and drinks. We all socialized for an hour or so, and then they returned home. I nearly cried from the warm welcome of such caring, giving people.
  • We are mostly moved in and our eagerly anticipating finding the homestead. We looked at a place the other night that could quite possibly be "the place."
Thanks to all of you who have prayed for us, commented and helped us in our decision-making, and have continued to befriend us. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Going back to donkey Dial-Up is going to take a bit to get used to. :) I am sure we will survive. Here's a photo from the dining room window the first morning. It was pretty shocking, and slightly overwhelming as well.

7 comments:

Lauren W. said...

Congratulations! I wish you the best in you new home!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! And welcome to Ohio. :-D

That house doesn't look yucky at all. ;-)

LauraT said...

Wow...what a view! What a welcoming! You're in the right place and I'm so glad you're all together. God is so good, isn't he?

Anonymous said...

Garth and Ildi,
We missed hearing from you. We're glad the Lord made the 'yucky' house not so 'yucky'! The right homestead is there--patience! Miss you all! Kiss the kids!
Love,
The Thompsons

foutfolk said...

Lauren w.

Great picture. Sepia? Hopefully our stay here is short and we find our home quickly.

ginny

I think I over-reacted when I visited it the first time. So much like a guy huh?

lct4j

He is! I am so glad that we moved. We have had two wonderful weeks so far. Tonight we walked over to the neighbors down the country road and had popcorn and ice cream for summer. As we sat around the fire pit I thought I was in a different world.

thompson's

just to let you know, your earlier comment about the yucky house completely influenced my decision!

leigh anna said...

i'm so glad you are back into the blogging world! :)
you sure have been missed!
i'm so excited that god has once again....done what we all knew he could do! and i'm also so excited that you were trusting enough to allow him to do so! :)
can't wait to hear more! :)
(and i'm glad you had a great first week....) :)

Anonymous said...

I say WOW to the yucky rental. God is so amazing and real. I can't wait to hear more. I miss you all!