Sunday, February 21, 2010

a big deal . . .

Another beautiful Sunday morning in the great state of Ohio. Great state of Ohio? I'm not sure of that, but it is a beautiful morning anyway.

Yesterday I spent the day "hauling" people again. Since I had most of the last two weeks off school, I decided to drive some of my Amish friends to a sale in the largest settlement of the Amish in America. Holmes County Ohio. We were there most of the day walking around looking at all the machinery, animal tack, and farm equipment. The Amish men are REALLY into auctions and getting a "bargain."

Yesterday we got another load of hay from a local man here in Defiance county. It was the first time I bought hay from him. Second cutting alfalfa. (sounds like I know what I am talking about with grass now huh?) Since I was gone, Nolan had to be in charge of unloading hay and "settling up" with him. Since he is so close to his sixteenth birthday, now starts the two year apprenticeship program with dad to handle the finances and learn how to financially run a home. He got his first experience of dealing with another man, by himself, and writing out a check. Not to be a big deal to us who have written out checks and dealt with business transactions alone for years, but to a sixteen year old . . . it's a BIG DEAL.

3 comments:

Barb Meyer said...

I remember! (long long long ago) I think it is such a great idea to do a 2 year apprenticeship! Are you writing all this up? Sounds like a "homeschool" book to me? You could do a class for other homeschool parents...who better than you? How did you meet your Amish friends...on purpose, on accident?

John and Tiffany said...

What a wonderful example and skill to give your children! John & I were thrown into the world with little to no understanding of finances and because of that we had a rough time until we learned the ropes through trial & error. You guys are a true testimony & encouragement to many other parents.

LauraT said...

What a great idea! I'm observing Elena and her earning potential and spending habits and am starting to be more instructive to her about her finances. You're an inspiration!