Saturday, January 26, 2013

cleaning the stove grates . . .

Last weekend we had some friends over for a mid day meal.  Sort of like a lunch, dinner, and supper all in one.  He and his wife brought some salad, a vegetable tray, and some cupcakes for dessert.  I grilled some of the steaks we had just butchered and also roasted a whole chicken from the freezer. 
 
While we were waiting on the chicken to finish cooking, he and I did a little OCD cleaning.  We are both like that.  We are very similar in that both of us LIKE to clean, and also get out tools to do the job.
 It's funny how satisfying it is to clean something so thouroughly.  My stove top had not been COMPLETLEY cleaned since we bought the home.  The surface had been wiped down many times, but the caked/burnt grime still remained.  Now, it does not exist! 
 And now I am in the process of cleaning the grates from all of their residue as well. They are enamel painted metal, so I first boiled them to loosen the grime, and now am scrubbing them with a cleaner and a scratch pad.

And this late morning, I am sitting here on the sofa in my family room, looking out the back of the house to our new, beautiful blanket of snow we got yesterday.  Wood burning in the stove, relaxing on the sofa, drinking some coffee, and planning what I am going to do today.  I think I am going to finish painting the upstairs bathroom and put it back together.

2 comments:

aMoRy said...

You guys are MAD! It is nice to have a clean stove, though. :)

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful tip I was given by my hair dresser. Pour a little bit (enough to cover the bottoms) of ammonia in your drip pans. Then cover them with plastic wrap overnight. In the morning that nasty cooked on gunk will practically wipe off. This truely works!!