Sunday, October 14, 2012

the second batch . . .

For such a long time we have been getting tons of milk.  Since Janey has come fresh, it has been anywhere from 4 to 6 gallons of milk a day.  With so much milk, we have been able to have as much as we want, feed the new calf, feed all the dogs and cats, and give some away for other families to enjoy.  And even though the milk has stretched that far, we are still having to pour some out on a regular basis.
 
Two weeks ago I started making yogurt out of the extra milk.  And it has been a fun process to learn.  First I added about two gallons of milk to a large pot.  The cream had already been taken off to make butter.
 I then heated the milk up to 110 degrees.
 Next I added some of the previous batch of yogurt I had made.  It had live active cultures in it which makes the yogurt "yogurt."
 Then Gresham adds a lid, slightly tightening it, and puts it in the oven.  We leave in in there overnight with the pilot light on to culture.
The next day we tighten the lid and put it in the refridgerator.  Presto, we have yogurt!  Since we have been buying some yogurt from the store, we add the one from the store, with all the fruit in it, to ours to make the Fruit on the Bottom yogurt last a LONG TIME.  Yum!

2 comments:

LauraT said...

Look at how cute - and blond!-Gresham is. And that yogurt - yum! Is it a runny consistency or thick? I love the Greek-style yogurt I eat every morning because it's high in protein and very thick. Your yogurt looks amazing. And oh how I would love to get some of your butter....

foutfolk said...

Laura . . . yes, since I am using raw milk, it has a runny consisitency. If I use pasteurized milk, it will be firmer. But who in their right mind uses pasteurized milk for anything? Just kidding! :) And I wonder if I can mail you some butter? Maybe.