Wednesday, August 10, 2011

farm and barn art . . .

Being an artist, it is difficult for me to not want to make environments (spaces) like galleries, full of interesting things to look at. In fact, Dard Hunter said it best when back in the turn of the century was quoted saying "Life without industry is sloth, industry without art is brutality.” I tend to believe the same way.

I love making homes, classrooms, and even barns on a farm a place where art is displayed for all to enjoy. Mostly, I like adding interesting pieces of art that evokes questions, or completes an area making it feel more like a home, not just a house.

This is our finished FOUTFOLK FARM sign that is on the horse barn as you drive into the farm.


A few weeks ago, I put some signs out to stir up thought while travelers drive along the rode.  The idea came from the Burma Shave advertising sign program from the 30's and 40's where signs advertising the shaving creme products were placed along highways where people could read them as they drove along.  They were catchy/gimmicky poems that promoted the goods.  My signs (even though they are not a rhyming poem) are ones of evoking rather than amusing.

I wanted the passer by to read it as they were driving.  The message consists of five signs that read both ways.




 I placed them about the distance of every other telephone pole.
 This painting is hung near the milking stanchions.  A good message for me to be reading at 6:00am EVERY morning.
 And the horse barn also has a family tree painting inside.
 And I finally finished and hung the barn quilt sign.  I am hoping to get some barn quilt paiting business from this one!


No comments: