Sunday, May 16, 2010

never a done deal . . .

It's just about the season of the year where I can wake up in the morning, finish milking chores, and then decide what I want to do for the REST of the day! Did I mention that I like being a school teacher for that reason? It's not like I spend the whole day sleeping, or here on the computer, but it is nice to wake up, spend some time leisurely in the morning, and then work hard all day with my hands. I really enjoy manually working. So much of my work at school is mental, and when I am working here at the farm, I can relax while I work because it is just a mundane, slow, enjoyable type of work. HARD work, physically, but enjoyable.


Animal update . . . The gosling died, and Macy buried it in the woods. One morning it had just keeled over. Apparently for no reason. Since then, the children have had some other wild animal experiences. While we were cutting a Disneylandish path through the woods, the dogs attacked an opossum that was carrying four young ones. Two died on the attack, Asher and Macy rescued two of them from the same fate. They cared for them for a few days but were unable to keep them alive. Also, they attempted to keep a young chipmunk by giving it to the cat that just gave birth to a litter. He ended up scurrying away. Our two female cats both gave birth this past week. Nine kittens in all. One has past since this post. Fly, the flat coated retriever, got to it. And we now have three mallard ducks added to the mix. They are young still, and they are slowly being introduced to the pond. We don't want the two-foot catfish eating them! :) And yesterday was the coming out party for the meat birds. Nolan and I finished repairing the chicken run that was partially destroyed but a huge rain last year, and then added a few changes to the design. It is a movable play yard where the chickens get fresh grass daily and are sheltered from the sun and rain with the tarp. We'll see if it works out. That's one thing we are definitely learning here. Nothing is truly ever a done deal.


And lastly, a housing update as well. I am finished with the master bath minus a couple TEENY details. There is a small vestibule of sorts that has a closet, and the room has a 9 foot ceiling height. I chose to paint it the same Buckwheat color that I used before since it is a neutral, versatile color. I re-finished an old outdated vanity painting it black, and distressing it a bit. And I married a little modern look by adding a metal magazine/book rack to the old country feel of most of the items in the room.


Two weeks left of work until I get to stay home and work on the farm. Lots to do . . . and I like it that way.

3 comments:

thompson said...

Nice magazine rack from IKEA! We have the same one :-)

outdoor.mom said...

love the mouse pic!

Barb Meyer said...

Can't say I feel sad about the opossums....they are mean suckers when they get big: Disney pictures of them are LIES!! Sad about the gossling though. and the kitten...
Love love love the bathroom. I totally get your "work" and "work" concept! busy, physical, do-it-mindlessly work IS relaxing ... sometimes.