Sunday, April 5, 2009

at the bottom of the stairs . . .

"It's raining and it's windy" . . . so my three year old says now as he is in bed for the evening. Each night, ritualistically, we follow the same routine. Right around 7pm, it's off to the bathroom for a couple of activities. Next, at the bottom of the stairs he hops on my back and I carry him up to his room. After I drop him off in his bed to play with cars, or the Etch a Sketch, I sit in the rocker and usually am working online doing something. Tonight was finishing an article I wrote for eHow.com on how to make a paper STAINED GLASS WINDOW.

As I sit here writing this, I am convicted of the focus of my time spent right before he sleeps. Obviously I don't want to have stimulating conversation to keep him awake any longer, and I want him to understand that when he goes to bed it is to sleep. And then there is the rationalizing that I do that says "my dad never sat with me . . . " justifying my attention to something other than him. I am not 100% sure what to think of with this conviction, but I do know that it the Lord getting my attention in a small way to help me in being a better father.

No comments: