Saturday, October 11, 2008

the message . . .

On and earlier post I mentioned that I was making some new art for a show. This is the second piece that I have done for that show that is coming up this next week. In addition, I mentioned that I had a message for this series of pieces. The title of this one is Make Good Choices. It is 18 x 24 watercolor with flies. REAL FLIES. They are dead of course. I have an idea of what I want to communicate, and possible responses to it, and I am excited to get some feedback on what people think. I am planning to make the frames for it as well. Instead of framing it traditionally in a nice glassed frame, I am building the frame out of old barn wood and leaving the rustic, weatherbeaten wood to add texture, dimension, and message to the piece. I am also posting the two other pieces on my Drawspace.com site as well as my teaching art blog at theartroomarchives.blogspot.com.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WoW! This is a very visceral piece. I like it a lot! Looks fantastic, and I LOVE the flies.

foutfolk said...

Good use of words :) Should have titled it visceral hey? I am making the frame for it today. I can't wait to use old rusty nails on it either.

leigh anna said...

super neat that you are using barn wood for the frame...
i don't know about the flies though...
that scares me a little...but maybe cause i'm thinking about how you got a bunch of dead flies?!?!