Wednesday, September 24, 2008

this little light of mine . . .

Recently I have had an earache. It started back about a month ago and has been quite a pesky little annoyance. At times it has been piercing with pain, but mostly it is just a dull, underwater type of feeling that has GREATLY affected my hearing. Feeling like I have stepped back in time, I have the children administer the "ear candle" to alleviate the wax buildup that comes with ear infections. In this picture, Maine got to light the candle and hold it to my ear. Why have I not gone to the doctor if I have a earache? Good question. Answer: Just moved, don't know where to go, and have no recommendations. In addition, I am leery of most doctors and the advice they give for remedies. So instead of going to the doctor and getting antibiotics, I am trying this home remedy suggested to me by a friend.

Here's how it goes. You push the candle through a hole in a paper plate so you don't catch your hair, the sofa, or the house on fire. As you can notice in the photo, I really won't be able to burn much hair. You then light the candle, which is made of wax, and stick it down in your ear as far as it will go. It takes about 15 minutes to burn down close to your ear and then you take it out. (so as to not burn your hair). The oxygen that is burned inside the hollow candle creates a vacuum that draws out all the wax from your ear. (reminds me a little of the movie "The Green Mile") The surprise at the end is cutting the candle open and seeing how much wax has been "sucked" out of your ear. It is really shocking how much wax your ear can hold. I have done the candle thing now around 6 times and still find that each time a crushed peanut's size of wax is extracted from my ear.

5 comments:

rob said...

I've always heard of doing this, but never actually tried it. So just out of curiosity, after you are done with the candling thing, do the inside of your ears feel all nice an cool, like someone shoved a York Peppermint Patty in there?

Colleen said...

Sorry about your ear infection, Garth. Bryan gets ears infections and he puts a dropperful of vinegar in to kill the infection. He leaves that in a couple of minutes and drains it out. After about 30 minutes he puts a dropperful of rubbing alcohol in. He swishes it around and drains it out. The alcohol dries out the ear so that infection looses it home to grow in. We will be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Garth,
Another thing to help with the pressure would be to rinse your sinuses out with distilled water and a nedi-pot (you can find these at a local drugstore). Also, when treating Hannah's ear infections, we tried Boric Acid Powder, and Betadine Solution (1/2 strength). We will be praying for you--we don't want it to turn into Mastoiditis like Hannah had (infection of the Mastoid bone behind the ear). It took Hannah's doctor 9 months to figure this out! All our love, Sherri and family

Patrick said...

After a month of dealing with an earache, hoping it would resolve itself, I bit the bullet and went to the doctor in Bluffton. I got a course of antibiotics and was better in about 3 days. Have had no problems now for over a month. I'd be happy to pass on the name if you'd like. They're a good family office. (I also tried earcandling to no avail!)
--Patrick

The Watchman said...

We've only had one occurrence of earaches in our home, the first thing we tried was garlic oil, a drop in the ear. Garlic has alot of medicinal uses so it didn't shock me when I read about it in a home remedy book. We only had to do it once or twice, plus when your done you have the rest of the bottle for seasoning!