The knotting of the string on the gourd is fun to do. I decided to use this type of attachment to hold the gourd up on the wire. The only other alternative was to drill holes in the top and run a string through it. I like this look more than a string ran through it.
This one was EXTREMELY fun to create today. It all started with our dog Saxon tearing off the top of the gourd. Instead of blaming him (since it was me that left it on the concrete to dry) I just used it to make a different style of birdhouse. A more decorative one. After I sanded it, I drilled holes around the torn top part and the hole for the bird. I painted it a medium green with spray paint then applied a dark walnut stain on top of that. Once it was dry I added some semi-dry cat tail reeds by "sewing" them on with black string. I also used a blanket stitch around the hole with the same string.
And this is where I put the bird houses. (or this is where I had Nolan put them!) The electricity wire that stretches from the garage to the horse barn. Notice the improvisation on lift equipment. Relatively safe, as long as the van is not moving! :) (out here on the farm we have to do lots of improvising.)