Saturday, July 23, 2011

thinking it out as I go . . .

I think it would be safe to say that I am addicted to building things!

As if the fence, pergola, and a couple of other smaller projects were not enough, I decided to add a balcony above the garage.  :)

It really isn't my fault.  Someone, who had this place before us, made an outside access door off the front of the garage/wood shop/game room.  It probably had some purpose for it or was part of a planned building project.  I couldn't just leave a doorway which led to a 10 foot drop when I wanted to open the door to allow air to circulate in the game room.  So hence the balcony plan.

I have been working on it, slowly, for the past couple of weeks devoting an hour or two to it every now and again.  I am on the cusp of finishing it now.  Since it is high, and I am planning and making it at the same time, I am also painting it as I go as well.  Screw a few boards on, paint them, and then I go off to another project for the rest of the day.

I have everything in place now and am working on the rail that will encompass the landing.  I am mimicking the existing rail style of the house and am finding it a pleasure to think it out as I go.

No comments: