Sunday, January 20, 2013

off the bone . . .

Today we finished butchering the heifer.  We didn't get started until late, and by the time we got over to the butcher shop, all the steaks had been cut up.  Then all of us started cutting the meat off the bone to be ground into hamburger and sausage.
 Macy, Asher, Maine and I spent most of the time cutting meat and fat off the bones.We kept all the bones to bring home to the dogs.

 Amory and Ruth spent the whole time packaging up the meat.  When we were finished, we ended up with approximately 20 T bone steaks BEAUTIFULLY marbled, about 15 sirloins, 15 or so roasts, 10 or so of some other cuts, 15 or so chucks, and around 150 pounds of ground beef; about a third of which we turned into sausage.
 And after last night, I have a couple of jars of tallow already for use in cooking!

4 comments:

LauraT said...

Oh, how I wish I could buy some from you! That quality of meat is simply remarkable. I'm not jealous, or envious, really, I'm not....

foutfolk said...

If I could, I would ship you some! Yesterday I grilled 4 T-Bone and 2 large Sirloin Steaks for the mid day meal. It was OUT-OF-CONTROL good! We had baked potatoes, salad, bread, and then some cupcakes for dessert. I guess I am making up for some lost dinner time with the children. :)

Abundance Soaps said...

Have you heard of bone broth? It is rich in minerals and you can use the bones several times.

foutfolk said...

Hey you! Yes, I have. We do bone broth with chicken for stock. A little vinegar to pull out all the good stuff huh? :) I am also looking to get a bone crusher/grinder so i can grind up what's left over of Asher's catches and put them in the garden.