Wednesday, November 28, 2012

first deer. . .

As many of you know, this week is gun season for deer hunting.  Thanks to our hunting mentor, Asher and I had the opportunity to hunt in his woods the first two days of the season.  And wouldn't you know, I actually got one!  It was about 10:30 Tuesday morning, and we had been in our stands since 7.  I had seen one buck, and a glimpse of a doe, but other than that, we were watching squirrels. (I think that they knew we weren't going to shoot at them; one actually climbed the tree that Asher was sitting in).  I was thinking about calling it a day and heading home, when in my peripheral vision I saw some movement.  A huge buck.  Moving down the hill.  I turned around and whistled at him while I aimed.  Sometimes you can whistle at deer, and they will stop to see what is making the noise.  Worked in my case.  He stopped and turned to look at me, and I fired.  By the way, a shotgun makes a REALLY loud noise when you've been quiet all morning!   After I shot, I saw him kick up his hind legs and take off.  We waited for a while, and then got down from our stands to see if we could see any blood.  Meanwhile, I was literally jittering from excitment.  :)  I mean, my first year deer hunting, and I shoot a buck!  But yeah, we looked around for blood, and we found some.  So we walked around, following the blood trail and looking for my buck.
 For like HOURS.
 Until we found him.  A TEN-POINT BUCK!!!  Can you belive that!?  I mean, how cool can your first deer be?  Uh, VERY!
Those antlers are SO going up on the wall, and that meat in the freezer. A friend of ours picked it up today to butcher it later, and he said that if I had shot 5 to 6 inches to the left, it would have been a perfect shot. Again, UNREAL. That's probably the best word to use for my deer hunting experience. :)
  Why does every picture of me over the past six months on this blog have some sort of animal that I've killed in it. . .




Posted by aMoRy


5 comments:

LauraT said...

At first I thought it was your Dad writing this. But....it's you, Amory! Wow! That's an incredible accomplishment! I'll never quite think of you the same way again, and I'll never get you angry!!!!!

Herrick Kimball said...

I'm impressed. Very nice. Congratulations!

aMoRy said...

Thank you!

foutfolk said...

Way to go Aim! No punintended (one word) And help from Macy. :)

LauraT said...

You Fouts might be too funny for your own good! A language-rich family to be sure!