Monday, October 29, 2012

scheduling and rescheduling . . .

 
 
Well . . .  Dad wanted me to do a post about my driving experience so far,  so HERE WE GO.  I got my driver's permit last April, a couple months after I turned 16.  I drove around a little after getting it, but not as often as I could have, being that I prefer to relax and not have to be alert on most car trips.  In June, I signed up to take some Driver's Education classes so that I could get my license.  As a side note, that was my first class experience EVER.  It turned out to be a great first experience, and I passed with high marks.  Now we come to the fun part.  I called the BMV a few days later, to schedule a time to get my license, and the lady said I wasn't eligible for almost FOUR more months! I had forgotten that I needed to hold my permit for six months before getting my license.  So that was a bit of a bummer, but, I only had to wait for a bit longer.  Now fast forward to about two weeks ago.  I called again to schedule an appointment, and scheduled it for October 17, the day I was eligible (isn't that so like a teenager?).  When Dad got home later that same day, he said to reschedule it to a time during the late afternoon so he could take me.  Ok, so no big deal, I called and rescheduled it to a time later on the same day.  Then Dad asked me what car I was planning on using.  Excellent question.  I had a several options.  I could use one of our enormous vans, I could borrow my grandma's PT cruiser, or I could rent one of the cars that I used for driver's ed. I needed something small since I had to do the manuverability patten, so I decided to rent my driving intructor's car, since it was small and I was more familiar with than I was with my grandma's car.  So I called him to see if I could rent his car on the 17th.  No, but I could have it on the 19th.  That was ok, so I called the BMV and rescheduled (yet again!) for the nineteenth.  So, on that day,  Dad left for work early, and we got there about ten or fifteen minutes before my appointment.  I walked up to the desk, and the lady (the same one who had been answering all my phone calls)  asked me for my permit card.  I gave it to her.  Then she asked for my certificate of completion of driver's ed.  NO!!!  I had forgotten that!  I called Nolan to see if he could bring it, but no, he couldn't find it.  After all the bother of getting all that organized,  I couldn't take my test that day.  So we went home, and I found my piece of paper, but I was in no mood just then to call and reschedule.  Let us take a moment now and look back at all the times I have used the words "call", "forget", and "reschedule" in this post.  Yeah, scary.  :)  But back to my story.  I called my driving instructor YET AGAIN, called the BMV lady YET AGAIN, and got it all set up YET AGAIN, for the 26th. Making sure to bring every paper or card that I might possibly need, I went that Friday to finally take my test.  And I did it!  And I passed it!  It was a bit of a close shave, but that's OK.  And, as an added bonus, my picture looked nice! (a big deal to a 16-year-old).   Macy and I went to a football game that night at her school, which I drove us to.  Next morning, I dropped Asher off in Kalida to go pheasant hunting, and also drove myself and Macy to our orchestra rehearsal.  I'm still slightly freaking out about the fact that I can just drive myself places now. . . or other people, I guess.  Asher wants me to drive him to his trapping sets this winter, Macy wants me to drive her to school, and Maine wants me to take her to the library.  Looks like I got my driver's license just in time for some people. . .
 
 
 
Posted by aMoRy
 

1 comment:

LauraT said...

Great job, Amory! What persistence AND a nice BMV picture! Poor Elena had a list of errands I wanted her to run (and littler people to run around town!)right as she walked in the door from her successful driving test. The freedom and possibilities are quite exciting now that you have your license. And of course, the opportunities to serve....