Saturday, April 17, 2010

so much room . . .

A view at sunset. There are some interesting plants that are covering the ground of the woods. I am excited to see what they turn into.

I hired my neighbor to mow the pastures for me so that the grass that is supposed to be growing now could see the sun. This is from the South end of what we call the Big Pasture. To give you some perspective of size, I walked along the fence row shown here, (from left to right in the picture-not long ways) and it was 180 yards wide. So that is almost two football fields in width! After it was mowed, it made the whole pasture seem so much larger. Funny thing as well . . . my neighbor came by tonight to pick up some money for mowing what he has done thus far. Since he barely knows me, I guess that is a good thing. I was unsure what he was going to charge me since most people out here don't talk about money until the job is done. I ended up paying him twice what I paid my landscaper I hired to mow my Rowland Heights house. Fathom that. Less than a quarter of an acre was half the price of mowing almost 26 acres! With prices like that, I 'll have him mow it monthly.

Ildi wanted me to build a fence to hide the "bullet" as I call it. Our 500 gallon propane tank is not necessarily an eye sore, but the fence sure does soften it a bit. :)

Since we have so much room, and plenty of storage space with barns, my brother has been bringing some items of his out to the farm to store. One such items is the canoe. The children are ecstatic about rowing out on the pond.

Amory has really been "designing" new ways to wear her hair up. She has developed a true artistic touch with wearing her hair in a bun.


Both the youngers are enjoying riding Lady now that she has calmed down. Since we didn't ride her over winter, she got pretty sassy and wouldn't want to listen to us the first few times out. On several occasions, the olders and I have had a hard time keeping her at bay. It's been fun reading how to train horses and then applying what we learn right then. It's a lot like child training. A whole bunch of common sense, and even more patience. :)

No comments: