Sunday, December 14, 2008

just wondering why . . .

Over the years we have celebrated Christmas somewhat like I did when I was young. Buying gifts, making things, opening presents, you know . . .the usual activities. This Christmas I have had mixed feeling about the whole Christmas celebration. Mixed feeling about whether or not I want to continue celebrating it the way we have done it for years.

Now before you go thinking I have fallen off the deep end (again), remember that I do have a solid head on my shoulders and that I am not going to jump off cliffs (so to speak) when changing celebratory activities. I just have been thinking, and reading, about pros and cons relating to Christmas and the way that it is celebrated; or not.

Several years ago Ildi and I started implementing Christmas activities that have become traditions in our family. I have written about them here. Some of these traditions were just variations on things we, and everyone else does during the Christmas season. This year, I was not motivated to do ANYTHING. Not Ba Humbug, not DEPRESSION, just wandering why we do what we do and wondering if it is something that we should continue.

After all was said and done, I (we) decided to still celebrate the way we have always done. Decorate a little, buy a few gifts for the children, and spend the time together making things. This year we decided to make our own Christmas tree. Nolan cut a tree limb for us, I drilled some holes, and Asher and Maine filled it with branches. Amory and Macy made swags of branches to put on all the interior doors. The swags are of a bush I trimmed on Saturday so they are not real pine branches. Oh well. Maybe that is our alternative way of celebrating this year.

4 comments:

Fito said...

Hola el de la foto eres tu con tu familia?, un gran saludo Adolfo.

Fito said...

Gracias por devolverme la vitita, si tengo esposa y dos hijos ya profesionales .

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to all of you. How is the snow? I would love to see a pic of the finished tree! It is finished isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous is SL McBride. I can't remember my password. Another reason why I am "off the hook".