Saturday, September 20, 2008

provisions . . .

It is always fascinating to watch how the decisions we make, and don't make, turn the events of our lives. As well, I am always amazed at how God works His ways in spite of all the decisions I make. Take for instance this lovely stove. Vintage 60's thing that is extremely cool. We moved into our rental in the country (pictured below) and the home needed a toilet and a stove. The owner bought the toilet and had it here the day I moved in. Good for me that I knew how to install toilets. Then there was the issue of a stove. Ildi had decided that she was going to work around not having one. For those that know my wife . . . imagine Ildi without a stove. We didn't necessarily want to buy one and then leave it here, or take it with us, so we decided to do without. That is until some friends of ours decided to get rid of this one that they had in their basement. They weren't sure that all of it worked, but did use it for canning in the winter. So, one night a week or two ago, along with a friend I picked it up and brought it home. It fit perfectly in the spot that I set out for it, and the WHOLE thing worked! even the oven! It has a warming oven, two big drawers under, a light (one that is on in the picture) and a red warning light I fixed the other day. Presto! our oven and stove needs are met. We did not buy it, we will take it with us when we go, and did I mention that it was extremely COOL!


Here are two of the three kittens that have joined us here in the country. We feed them small dog food and they forage around eating bugs during the day. The children call the gray one Smokey but I forget what they named the other one.

Nolan and his dramatic picture taking! I spent time training him and Amory on photography a few years ago and it seems he's taking it a little too far now :) Actually, I am impressed with his shots. He took all of these minus the stove/oven picture.

4 comments:

Ginny said...

Wow! That is a super nifty stove. And the picture of the house is such a nice picture. So comfy, cozy, country...
:-D

kim said...

Love the stove! Ildi, how did you do without your stove? What about your bread? Miss you guys-

Ed Crabtree said...

Great stove and beautiful farmhouse...pardon me, but I'm jealous!!

Patrick said...

How about: "our best friends in the whole world whom we cannot live without" gave us the stove?
;-) Patrick