Monday, June 16, 2008

Our recent trip(s) have come to an end. Last Wednesday to SC, and then Thursday to Ohio. We arrive home Sunday morning around 4:00 am. It only took us eight hours to travel even though I took a scenic route around the area where I interviewed at a school. This place was slightly north of Columbus and was settled within a valley. VERY PRETTY and very small.

Yesterday I spent most of the day sleeping and resting. I read a book by Isabella Alden called The Man of the House. A narrative about a little twelve year old boy who finds himself taking care of his mother and sister, and growing up in the process. The book is written by a late 1800's pastor's wife who weaves character throughout the story. I found so many ways to relate to him and am excited to read it to the children.

Speaking of children...Gresham is now poot trained. Poot is the word he uses when he needs to use the bathroom. Of course we have the occasional accident, but he is extremely aware that there's a place for everything, and that everything goes in its place. Thank God. :) Nolan made me a Father's Day video. I'll have to post it sometime for all to see. The younger children made cards for me. They are all extremely excited to move.

In Ohio, they had plenty of time to enjoy working on a farm. We stayed with friends that live a fairly plain lifestyle. They helped finish putting hay in the barn when we first arrived, they helped with milking, moving the chicken tractor, collecting eggs, and as a surprise, witnessed one of the many cats give birth to 5 kittens. Macy was particularly happy about naming each one of them. Amory spent most of the time developing a friendship she had started with their 12 year old daughter. Two peas in a pod! Asher got to be helpful boy to their youngest son who followed him around and wanted to spend the whole day with Asher. They rode the milk cows when they sent them back to pasture, and Nolan even got to drive the tractor. I don't think that any one of them wore shoes the entire time we were there. And Saturday morning, they helped the family sell produce and meat at the local farmer's market. Lots of great things to learn.

10 comments:

Ginny said...

Any pictures?

:-D

foutfolk said...

No....I am a loser! I decided not to take the camera knowing it was a business-like trip. I forgot and only thought of myself! How like me to do that. :(

Ginny said...

=8-O

Well, I hope you have learned your lesson!

;-)

I forgive you. :-D

leigh anna said...

so, when is the big move?

foutfolk said...

The horse before the cart Mrs. Voigt! I am still looking for the horse. :)

You need to start a blog...so many things to tell..and so many to read it. Let's think of a great blog name for you.

leigh anna said...

you mean to tell me that you don't have a horse?!?!

foutfolk said...

Not yet :) The cow comes first. The horse is a luxury. It doesn't provide me with food.

leigh anna said...

this is true....
and cows are way more cool any way!
you know (probably not)
i had a pet chicken when i was little...it fell off the chicken truck taking it to the slaughter house....and we found it and took it home...it lived in our laundry room for a few years ....then we moved and gave it to a family that had a chicken coop....he was a good little chicken!

so make sure your kiddos have stories to tell like that when they are older! :)

foutfolk said...

You are OURTRAGEOUS! I should start calling you chicken lady.

leigh anna said...

you could....
however i probably would not respond...but you could do that!